Ah, summer. The time for vacations and babymoons is upon us. Whether you’re flying or road-tripping, let’s face it, traveling as a pregnant woman can be, well, a little more uncomfortable (Aisle seat, please!). We’ve put together some travel must-haves to help make your summer trips a little more pleasant. Check out our list, and let us know what essentials are in your carry-on!
1. Your doctor’s OK. If you’re planning to travel by air, before booking your flight, check with your doctor to make sure it’s safe for you to fly. She can also recommend simple exercises and stretches to help keep your blood circulating and prevent thrombosis and varicose veins.
2. A stylish but comfortable dress that won’t wrinkle easily. The NOM Dylan Maxi Dress, NOM Hailey Dress, and Tees By Tina Microstripe Dress are a few of our favorites.
3. Comfy shoes. Yosi Samra’s Ballet Flats go with everything and will make you feel like you’re walking around in slippers! If you’re prone to swelling or varicose veins, consider packing a more supportive pair of shoes or compression socks to wear when flying.
4. Lots of water. Staying hydrated is super important, especially when traveling. Bring an empty BPA free water bottle with you and fill it up once you pass through security!
5. Easy, healthy snacks. A banana and some hearty trail mix will keep you energized and help you avoid the expensive, processed foods that are usually available at the airport or gas stations. We love this trail mix recipe from Shape.com.
6. Earplugs or noise cancelling headphones for the airplane. For tired traveling mamas-to-be, shutting out the background noise can bring a sense of calm and help you get some zzz’s.